Heart of the Valley Days
Mid July is the time for the annual Heart of the Valley Days held in
Middleton, Nova Scotia. This is a three day event that celebrates the
town's incorporation, or birthday. It is held on the second last weekend
of July and runs from Friday evening until Sunday evening.
You will find parades, entertainment, sport events, demonstrations,
kids games and maybe even a midway going on. The whole town comes out
and meets with friends from the surrounding area to take part in or
watch the many events.
Friday starts the Heart of the Valley Days off with an ATV competition followed by dances and entertainment.
The many sport events get started on Saturday including the annual
Provincial Hand Wrestling Competitions. Saturday is also parade day
followed by the annual Fireman's chicken BBQ and more entertainment.
On Sunday you will find more sport events, demonstrations,
entertainment and plenty of games for the kids and whole family. Then
the big finality is a musical showcase, closing ceremonies and the
As with other festivals held through out the Annapolis Valley,
Middleton's Heart of the Valley Days are organized and ran by volunteers
in the community. Long hours of planning and organizing really pay off
when you see it all come together and enjoyed by so many.
anyone visiting the area this year, 2009, you may want to check out the
Middleton Heart of the Valley Days. This is also their centennial year
and they have lots of extra special events planned both during this
festival and throughout the whole year.
Schedule of Events
Heart of the Valley Days
Although they try to add new stuff every year, many of the events
during the Heart of the Valley Days are held each year, usually around
the same time, day and place.
Therefore I am going to use a general schedule of events to show you what could be going on.
It is always recommended that you check on a recent schedule of events each year as some events change venues or times.
- It all starts 6 pm Friday evening. This is when the midway opens up
with rides and games of chance. This midway usually goes on throughout
the whole weekend.
- Between 7 - 9:30 p.m. you will find
the ATV Competition happening at Rotary Park. This is always an
interesting competition as these drivers show off their skills.
starting at 7 p.m. is the "Hospitality Area" at the Pavilion in Rotary
Park, 19 yrs and older. There is usually entertainment provided here a
little later in the evening.
- The Middleton Fire Hall is busy on Friday evening with pre-teen and teen dances going on during the evening.
- A great way to start the day is with the Lion's Pancake Breakfast
being served at the Pavilion in Rotary Park. This is always a popular
event and a great place to meet up with friends and plan your day.
10 am check out the IODE Children's Parade starting at the Macdonald
Museum. This is always a favorite of mine, the kids are just so creative
and cute. Every child is a winner in this event and so are we by
- If you like horseshoes then be at the
Rotary Park horseshoe pits by 10 a.m. for the competition. This is an
open-doubles competition and there is always some good competition,
laughs and good sportsmanship.
- At the Rotary Park Hard courts the Ball hockey gets started at 11 a.m. This is a little faster pace than the horseshoes.
if you are feeling a little too warm to take part in the ball hockey,
maybe you would like to head to the Middleton & District Swimming
Pool for the "Wet & Wild Swim and BBQ between 11 am and 1 pm. This
is always a splashing great time and cools you off for the rest of the
- Noon on Saturday is the registration for the
NS Arm Wrestling Association's Provincial Championships on Oland Stage.
These competitions will go on throughout the day with the Junior
Tournament followed by the Adult Tournament.
- At 1:00 p.m. the "Hospitality Area" at the Pavilion in Rotary Park opens up, 19 yrs and older.
- Every year the Rotary Club of Middleton sponsor the very popular Rubber Ducky Derby Draw at 1:00 p.m. held at Rotary Park.
- The midway opens for the day at 1:00 p.m.
- If you are interested in the One Mile Road Race is starts at the NSCC at 1:20 p.m.
- Also starting at the NSCC at 1:30 p.m. is the Grand Street Parade. Come early to pick your best spot to view the many floats.
- Between 2:30 - 6:00 p.m. the "Hospitality Area" will feature a Musical Showcase for your enjoyment.
- Are you getting hungry? Then head to Rotary Park between 4 - 6 p.m. for the annual fireman's Chicken BBQ.
evening is for the adults as they head to the Middleton & District
Rink for the "Rink Dance" between 9:00 p.m. and 2:00 a.m.
- The Soccer Tournament gets underway at the NSCC Middleton Campus Soccer Field at 10:00 a.m.
- The midway also starts up for the day at 1:00 p.m. for your last day to ride the rides or win that stuffed toy.
2:30 p.m. it is time for the annual Fire Fighter's Skill Challenge
& Truck Display held at Rotary Park. This is a great event to go
watch these firemen show off their skills and equipment.
Children's Exhibition gets started at 3:00 p.m. with plenty of games
and fun for all. Try out in the Jell-O eating contest; Three-legged
race; Egg & Spoon race or join in on the crafts and face-painting.
- Also staring at 3:00 p.m. in Rotary Park is the 4-H Woodsman Competition which is always entertaining to watch.
- The Roy Robinson Dog Show is at 4:00 p.m. focusing on the skills of these trained dogs.
6:00 p.m. the "Hospitality Area" opens up with a Musical Showcase
starting at 8:00 P.m. followed by the Closing Ceremonies for the Heart
of the Valley Days.
- At dusk watch for the Fireworks Finale at the north end of the Rotary Raceway Park.
Remember this is only a guide as to what is going on during the
Middleton Heart of the Valley Days. There could be many more events
going on during these three days and the times may be changed so
remember to check for an up-to-date schedule.
Leave the Heart of the Valley Days Page to go look at other great Annapolis Festivals.